604 598 0558, 604 757 3001 Fax: 6045980559 info@mayfairimmigration.com


How does the parent and grandparent super visa differ from a visitor visa?

Currently, most visitors to Canada may visit for up to six months when they first enter Canada. Visitors who wish to stay longer must apply for an extension, and pay a new fee. With the parent and grandparent super visa, eligible parents and grandparents can visit family in Canada for up to two years without the need to renew their status.

The Super Visa is a multi-entry visa that provides multiple entries for a period up to 10 years. The key difference is that the Super Visa allows an individual to stay for up to two years on initial entry into Canada, while a 10-year multiple entry visa would only have a status period for each entry of six months only.

  • age,
  • permanent resident status,
  • time you have lived in Canada (residence),
  • income tax filing,
  • intent to reside,
  • language skills,
  • how well you know Canada, and
  • prohibitions.

As a result of 2014 changes to the Citizenship Act, if you have served in or with the Canadian Armed Forces, you might be able to apply through a fast-track process. This is based on how long you have served our country, instead of how long you have lived in Canada. Foreign military members do not need to be a permanent resident of Canada.

Eligibility for application

To apply for the parent and grandparent super visa, applicant must::

  • applicant’s ties to his/her home country,
  • the purpose of applicant’s visit,
  • applicant’s family and finances,
  • the overall economic and political stability of applicant’s home country, and
  • an invitation from a Canadian host.

Note: Applicant cannot include dependents in this application.

Applicant must also:

  • prove that applicant’s child or grandchild in Canada meets a minimum income threshold,
  • provide a written statement from that child or grandchild that he or she will give applicant financial support,
  • have valid Canadian medical insurance coverage for at least one year and
  • have an immigration medical exam.